Data and Databases
A Curious Moon
Demystify SQL and relational databases with this cosmic detective story.
Follow along with Dee Yan, our fictional data science intern, as she assumes the job of interim database administrator at the fictional aerospace startup, Red:4. She’ll learn PostgreSQL like we all do: on the job and under pressure.
She needs to assemble, normalize, query and optimize data from the Cassini mission so it can go along as reference material for SELFI, NASA’s next-generation sensor that has a singular job: verify life under Saturn's ice moon: Enceladus.
Mostly a PostgreSQL tutorial, this book also has a narrative element in the spirit of The Martian. You'll start out with the basics: creating tables and importing data. Soon, however, you'll be awash in glorious SQL and data from space, creating functions, common table expressions and calculating aggregates using window functions.
Is there life under the ice of Enceladus? Let's ask the data...
This is an ebook that is delivered in epub, PDF and Kindle formats.
Going Serverless With Firebase
In the latest production from Big Machine, we explore what it takes to build a usable, “serverless” ecommerce application. I’m not just talking about checking out and running a Stripe charge – no we’re doing it all.
In this video we’ll set up:
- A web site hosted by Firebase, generated by Middleman, secured with SSL
- Digital fulfillment (with counters and expiring URLs) using Firebase Storage
- Authentication using OAuth
- Email notifications and customer management, integrating with Drip
- Paranoid data collection using PostgreSQL at Compose.com
- A REAL set of checkout data, including geolocating IP addresses, payment and processor retention
All of the code in the video and the book is available in our Github repository. You can download individual chapters, or checkout with Git.